What to expect
In a place where the red desert sands meet the cool blues of the ocean lies a fascinating place which is home to ancient tribes and a myriad of animals. This tour is a combination of the Kalahari and Namib Deserts and is the one destination that every curious traveller should consider.
On our 7-Day Southern Kalahari & Namib Desert Explorer Guided Tour, you will be taken on an exciting trip through southern Namibia and all along the way you will stop off at interesting places that have made the region famous. You will see the shimmering red sands of the Kalahari Desert, the magnificent Sossusvlei and its dunes, and the legendary petrified Dead Vlei and its iconic trees. The tour ends in the quiet coastal town of Swakopmund.
7 Day Southern Kalahari & Namib Desert Explorer Guided Tour
- Departs every MONDAY from Windhoek
- Minimum 2 pax required for tour to take place
- Maximum 6 pax for tour
- Customizable departure dates for a party of 4 or more people
- English-speaking guide for the duration of the tour
- Many optional activities to choose from (rates on request)
- Option to extend the tour to include northern Namibian highlights (rates on request) such as:· 1-night dinner, bed & breakfast on a large wildlife-rich property near Kalkveld
· a visit to the Omandumba San Cultural Village
· 2 nights dinner, bed & breakfast near Etosha National Park plus game drives inside Etosha
· 1-night dinner, bed & breakfast in the Waterberg Plateau Park region
|COST & VALIDITY||1 November 2020 to 1 October 2021|
|WHAT TO BRING|| Comfortable shoes|
Sunhat and sunglasses
|IMPORTANT NOTE||Namibia emergency number: +264 81 127 0564|
|NOT INCLUDED|| Flights|
Entrances and optional activities and excursions not specified in the itinerary
(rates on request)
Meals not specified in includes
Beverages for own account
Gratuities for guides, drivers, and hospitality staff
Expenses of a personal nature
Visa fees (where applicable)
The tour starts and ends in Windhoek. On the 1st day, guests will be picked up early and on the last day they will be dropped off in the early afternoon. Accommodation in Windhoek for the night before the tour is not included in the price however we are able to make arrangements on your behalf. Outward bound flights should not be booked for before 15h00 on the last day of the tour.SEE PDF
Day 1 & Day 2
Kalahari Desert | Africa Safari Lodge | 2 Nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast
On the 1st day, your guide will collect you from your hotel in Windhoek and the tour will begin with some sightseeing in the Namibia capital where you will see various landmarks of significance, such as the Tintenpalast and the Christuskirche. After sometime in the city, the tour heads south, towards the Kalahari Desert. To get there, you will pass through Rehoboth and Kalkrand. The Kalahari Desert is a semi-arid destination, filled in parts, with sandy savannah. The entire region covers parts of Namibia, South Africa and Botswana. The Kalahari is home to all sorts of indigenous wildlife, including the famous black-maned Kalahari lion, the warthog, meerkat families, Oryx and giraffe. The first two nights of the tour will be spent at the Africa Safari Lodge and upon arrival on the first day, after checking in, you will immediately head off on an exciting game drive. A refreshing dinner will be served at the lodge once you return from your game drive. The rest of the evening can be spent simply enjoying the company in the Boma, indulging in conversation around the fire, or you can spend it stargazing, or relaxing in your room.
Recommendations for Day 2
On the 2nd day of the tour, you will be up early for a morning game drive. Travelling around the Kalahari at dawn is an unforgettable experience as you will not only be seeing all kinds of animal and bird life, but the colouring of the sun on the sand is something truly magical. Some of the wildlife you can expect to encounter include a wide variety of antelope, zebra and blue wildebeest. On your return to the lodge, you will be served breakfast, and the rest of the day can be spent relaxing at the lodge, going on one of the walking trails or having a dip in the pool. Should you wish to have another game drive in the afternoon, you can have a chat with your guide.
Day 3 & 4
Namib Desert | Desert Hills Lodge | 2 Nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast
Leaving the area on Day 3, you will travel to the Namib Desert via Sesriem, Mariental and Maltahöhe. The Namib is one of the oldest deserts on earth and it stretches all along the Atlantic coastline for some 1 500 km. It is also home to a number of awe-inspiring sand dunes, some of which climb up to 300 m. The Namib Desert is also home to the Sossusvlei and the Dead Vlei, each of which is iconic and home to some incredible sights. You will arrive at the Desert Hills Lodge after the long trip and once you have booked in, you can freshen up before you enjoy the view of a Namib Desert sunset while enjoying a sundowner. Dinner is served at the lodge restaurant, alfresco style, in the Boma.
Recommendations for Day 4
The 4th day is off to an early start as you prepare to head to the Sossusvlei before dawn. Leaving any later will leave you exposed to the midday heat, which can be a little too intense. The Soussusvlei is a salt and clay pan, one of the biggest in the world. It is surrounded by red sand dunes making the sight of the Sossusvlei quite spectacular. Some of the things you should do on day 4 include:
- The chance to climb Big Daddy, one of the tallest dunes in the world
- a 1.1-km walk to Dead Vlei to photograph the 900-year old petrified camel thorn trees
- a visit to Sesriem Canyon, a 1-km long and 40-m deep gorge
The rest of Day 4 can be spent at your leisure back at the lodge.
Day 5 and Day 6
Swakopmund | Hansa Hotel Swakopmund | 2 Nights Bed & Breakfast
The 5th day of the tour begins just after breakfast. When you have filled up on an energising meal, the tour heads off to the west coast, taking a trip through the Namib Naukluft Park and the isolated village of Solitaire. In this village, you can stop for a slice of apple pie from Moose McGregor, a popular little bakery. When you arrive at Swakopmund, you will book into the Hansa Hotel Swakopmund, where you will be close to beach, shops and restaurants of all kinds. You can enjoy a sightseeing trip around the town, where you can take in the German Colonial architecture, or you can take a walk around the town on your own. At the end of the day, you can return to the hotel for a delicious dinner or you can head to one of the popular restaurants in the town where you can get a taste of Swakopmund. Restaurants you can visit include the Jetty 1905 Restaurant or the Old Steamer Restaurant.
Recommendations for Day 6
Swakopmund and Walvis Bay are about 43 km apart and the trip to Walvis Bay is truly a wonderful, scenic route to take. Take this trip early in the morning when the ocean breeze is cool and calming, and often creates a mist that bumps up against the sand dunes of the Namib Desert. Some of the fun things you can do in this area include:
- an early morning Dolphin & Seal Catamaran Cruise from Walvis Bay
- an excursion from Walvis Bay to the Kuiseb Delta on quad bikes
- a half- or full-day guided tour to Sandwich Harbour
- a guided Historical City or Dune Landscape Fat Bike Tour
- a Little Five Desert Excursion, camel rides, desert quad-biking or tandem skydiving
Windhoek I Hosea Kutako International Airport
The tour ends on day 7 and after breakfast you will check out of the accommodation and travel back to Windhoek. The route back will include a trip through Okahandja, Usakos, and Karibib. You will be taken to the Hosea Kutako International Airport, where you can catch your flight out of the country.
Should you want to spend some more time in Windhoek or if you only intend to leave the following day, we can help you by booking accommodation and arranging your airport transfers. We can drop you off at your accommodation either before or after we have dropped off everyone else. We can also extend your stay in Swakopmund, should you wish it, by booking additional accommodation on your behalf.
Should your time and your budget allow it, you can join the Northern Namibia Wildlife Explorer Guided Tour. It departs on the morning of the 7th day of this tour, and it leaves from Swakopmund, where you will be after a night’s stay in the town
Day 1 & Day 2
Kalahari Desert | 2 Nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast
Africa Safari Lodge
Located 25 km from Mariental in the heart of Southern Namibia, Africa Safari Lodge offers panoramic views of the surrounding plains. The tastefully decorated, air-conditioned, en-suite chalets with their large, sliding glass doors have a safe, a TV and a tea- and coffee-making facility.
Other facilities include
- an outdoor swimming pool
- a Boma
- an on-site restaurant
- guest laundry
- disabled access
- free WiFi
Day 3 & Day 4
Namib Desert | 2 Nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast
Desert Hills Lodge
The organic, domed homes of the ancient San are the inspiration for Desert Hills Lodge. Located in the shadow of the mountains that overlook the plains of the Namib Desert, Desert Hills Lodge is 30 km away from the entrance gate to the Namib Naukluft Park. Each secluded desert-facing thatched Chalet has air-conditioning, a minibar, a coffee-making station and an en-suite bathroom.
Other facilities include:
- an outdoor swimming pool and sun terrace
- free WiFi in public areas
- a restaurant
- a fully licensed bar
Day 5 & Day 6
Swakopmund | 2 Nights Bed & Breakfast
Hansa Hotel Swakopmund
One of Namibia’s oldest hotels, the Hansa Hotel Swakopmund dates back to the early 1900s. Conveniently located within walking distance of the beach, restaurants, famous landmarks and shops, the hotel makes a wonderful home base from which to explore Swakopmund on foot. The Standard Rooms come equipped with air-conditioners, en-suite bathrooms, flatscreen TVs, WiFi, a safe, a minibar and a tea and coffee station.
Other facilities include:
- a garden
- Free WiFi
- a restaurant, a lunch terrace and a bar
Accommodation is subject to availability. If we are unable to book accommodation as stated, we will look for a similar alternative and advise you accordingly.
- 20% pre-payment at time of booking.
- Balance to be settled 60 days prior to travel.
- Payment to be made in ZAR (South African Rands).
- The customer is liable for any bank charges.
Account holder: Africa Focus Tours Namibia (Pty) ltd
Bank: Nedbank Namibia
Account number: 011500012252
Branch code: 96167200
Swift code: NEDSNANX
- Cancellations 32 to 22 days prior to travel forfeit 60% of the full booking amount.
- Cancellations 21 to 15 days prior to travel forfeit 70% of the full booking amount.
- Cancellations 15 to 8 days prior to travel forfeit 80% of the full booking amount.
- Cancellations 7 days to NO SHOW forfeit 100% of the full booking amount.
- Special cancellation terms may apply for certain products and services.
Terms & Conditions
- Price quoted per person and includes the cost of accommodation and meals for your guide (and driver where applicable).
- Minimum of 2 pax required for tour departure.
- Minimum age of children is 8 years old.
- Families with children younger than 8 years of age are welcome to request a Private 7-Day Northern Namibia Wildlife Explorer Guided Tour.
- Final bookings and rooming lists to be supplied 35 days prior to the commencement date of the tour.
- The accommodation mentioned in the itinerary will depend on availability at the time of making the booking. Any alternatives will be of a similar standard and will be within the same region.
- This is merely a quotation and not a confirmed booking.
Seek your doctor’s advice with regards to vaccinations and malaria prophylaxis.
Travelling with Children
- Parents travelling with children must provide an unabridged birth certificate which includes details of the child’s father as well as the mother for all travelling children. This applies even when both parents are travelling with their children.
- When children are travelling with guardians, these adults are required to produce affidavits from the children’s parents proving permission for the children to travel.
- The above applies to foreigners and South Africans travelling to or from South Africa as well as travellers in transit.
- Minimum age of children is 8 years of age.
- Rates and policies for children under 12 years of age on request.